Monday, March 14, 2016

Pets and Getting Started

Hi :) I am Kelly. I love animals! I practically have my own little zoo. Because I have spent countless hours researching all of my pets and many others, I know how hard it can be to find clear information online. I am hoping this blog can help those of you who also love animals and are trying to find some useful information. Please keep in mind I am not an expert; if you disagree with me or would like to add your own experiences or tips, please feel free to let me know! I am always open to questions or new insight.
So, getting started. I believe there are several vital steps to acquiring a pet. The most important step to me is research. I work at a pet store and I HATE it when customers come in and try to buy an animal on a whim without any of the correct information. If you want an animal, be responsible and do your homework. If you are not prepared with the correct knowledge, the animal could suffer. When gathering information you should consider:
  • animal’s temperament, size, and lifespan
  • cost of initial set up and upkeep
  • space requirements
  • nutrition, care, and health information
  • possible concerns
  • other information
Please also consider providing more space than the minimum suggested. The longer I have pets, the more I see the value in providing as much space as possible. (There are a few exceptions to this such as specific reptiles that may be stressed by too much space.) Sometimes I will have an empty tank and I will look up what pets could live in that amount of space. Some people online will give you a hard time about trying to find a pet by searching the least amount of space they can live in. I personally am just glad to see someone actually do their research and get a pet that they can properly care for; sometimes people do have limitations to what they can provide and it is important to be honest about that and only get a pet whose needs you will be able to meet.

Next, I believe it is essential to set up the new enclosure/tank/cage/environment PRIOR to bringing home the animal. I always get in arguments with customers who want to buy a fish tank and fish at the same time. NO. They need to go home and set up the tank and let the water cycle to avoid stressing out or poisoning the fish. This rule goes for other creatures too. Reptiles and amphibians need specific heat and humidity requirements most of the time so it is essential to create the habitat and check that those requirements can be met. For larger animals, sometimes it is a good idea to pet-proof the room they will be kept in before they arrive. Don’t be selfish and put the animal at risk just because you are impatient. The point is: be prepared.

Finally, make the transition as smooth as you can to lessen the stress on your new pal. Read up on taking the animal home and how long they will need to adjust. Try to get captive bred animals from reputable breeders or adopt abandoned animals. Whatever you do, keep your pet’s well-being the number 1 priority. Hope this helped get you started!
P.S. a website that might help you in your search for a pet is rightpet.com. This site has numerous animals arranged by trait and reviews by people who have had them before.

No comments:

Post a Comment