Wednesday, March 16, 2016

What Can I Do With My Empty ... 10-20 Gallon (part 1)



*This post has been updated since it was written since I have learned a lot since then. I am expanding this to 10-20 gallons since 10 gallons truly are not appropriate for many things.

So sometimes when I'm bored, or if I have an empty tank or cage around, I do a little research and dream of the possibilities. Today, I am going to share with you my list of what could go in that empty 10 gallon you've had laying around! Now, I won't be including literally every possibility obviously (I tend to avoid common fish) and I am not the only authority on this so I'm sure some people out there might argue with my suggestions. I am not saying any of these are simple to care for or anything like that. I am simply giving you what I've found so it can help you dream a little too. :) If you decide to try any of these, please be sure to do additional reading to be safe!

10-20 Gallon Possibilities:

A betta sorority! For this type of tank to work, you need at least a well decorated 10 gallon (though bigger is better) and at least three female bettas with compatible personalities. Don't overcrowd though. In theory, each is likely to claim a small territory. I have read many instances where this has been successful, but never tried it myself.  *Update: I would no longer recommend or attempt this in less than a 20 gallon. The smaller you go, the more fighting there will be.

Nano Reef: I have never had a salt water tank, but if you are willing to work for it, this is definitely a possibility!


Land Arthropods: This category is basically for those who love creepy crawlies! It includes tarantulas, centipedes, scorpions, assorted insects, including of course my favorite: millipedes. I actually have a tank of large millipedes I will probably do a post on at some point. Some of these are very simple, but all need specific needs to be met so do that research!

Geckos!: There are several small species you could keep in a ten gallon. Some to look into could be house geckos, mourning geckos, other micro/dwarf geckos etc. Do your research though and look into what kind of heat gradient they need since it can be difficult to get much temperature difference in such a small space. Mourning geckos can live in a 10, but keep in mind they breed constantly (even if you only have 1) and can escape through even tiny holes. You would need to alter your tank to accommodate this.

Fire Belly Toads: Ah, these guys have a special place in my heart. :) I have three (Polly, Tad, and Lily) and they had babies last summer. It was awesome (I'll probably make a post about that someday too). You can easily keep three of these guys in a ten gallon as long as they have both land and water. The tank can be as simple as water and a floating dock, or as complex as you want. Mine are in a ten gallon I divided to create a land section. *Update: I moved mine to a 20 gallon and prefer it. They were fine in the 10 but they have much more space for land and water sections now and are fairly active.
 Japanese fire belly newt | pelican | Flickr
Fire Belly Newts! The newt version! I have always wanted these cuties. If you choose to get newts, make sure you can maintain the cool temperatures they like :) These are another option if semi-aquatic tanks are your thing. The larger the tank the easier it will be to maintain water quality.
File:Painted Reed Frog 12 11 2010 2.JPG - Wikimedia Commons
Reed Frogs: Here is a more adventurous choice! These tiny guys are from Africa. They are beautifully colored and can be kept in a well planted tank. It may be slightly more difficult or pricey to come by them, but definitely an interesting option!

Axolotl- So I used to a have one of these babies in a 10 gallon. Unfortunately she was not very healthy and didn't make it to adulthood. You could start a baby in a 10 or 20, but an adult will need a larger tank. My current adult is in a 30 and would probably benefit from a larger tank even now. They get bigger than you think!  If this option interests you, make sure that you can keep the tank cool and do your research. I have mine in the basement over the tile and also have a fan over the water.

African Clawed Frog: This is my buddy, Derp. I love him! This is a great type of pet frog. They are adorable, easy to care for, and definitely have personality. If you decide to get one, make sure it is legal in your state. They are banned in some places (for invasive species issues).

Anyway, that's half my list for now, I'll share the other half soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment